Collage and Encaustic Workshop
Saturday, June 22, 2013
10am – 5pm
Location: The PA Guild of Craftsmen, 335 N. Queen Street, Lancaster, PA 17603
Cost: $87.00 Members; $97.00 Non-Members
Beginner/Intermediate Level: In this workshop, explore the world of collage using the luscious medium of encaustic. Demonstrations will be given on the tools and equipment to use and how to fuse with paper involved. We will discuss the multitude of papers available for collage and best practices for multiple transparent layers.
Learn how to add photos to your encaustic work as collage elements, as well as how to use them as transfers. We will also explore some additional transfer methods using charcoal, graphite, oil pastels, and other tools. Students will have the opportunity to complete four 8” x 10” collage pieces. This will be a great workshop if you love collage and want to learn a creative way to assemble your papers with encaustic medium.
- Roll of Viva paper towels
- X-Acto Knife and cutting surface
- Soft or Vine Charcoal and/or Graphite sticks
- Oil Pastels (if you have them)
- Small pad of Tracing paper
- Small pad of Newsprint paper
- Wax paper
- Assorted collage papers which can include: printed napkins, printed or colored tissue paper, handmade papers, rice paper, lace paper, coffee filters, dried tea bag paper, handwritten letters, vintage papers, dress pattern tissue, junk mail, old maps (or any papers that are absorbent and do not have a shiny surface or acrylic paint on them)
Other Supplies & Materials Fee: All other supplies will be provided by the instructor. A $40 supply fee payable to the instructor on the day of the workshop will cover: substrates, encaustic medium and paints, encaustic gesso, Nitrile gloves, single edged razor blades, use of tools and equipment, and printed handouts.
To Register: Call 717-431-8706 or visit PA Guild website by clicking here.